Fernetti Set to Start 1st Season as Sandburg Women’s Hoops Coach
GALESBURG — The Carl Sandburg College women’s basketball team looks to have a fresh start with a new coach this season.
Kellen Fernetti, a Niota native and 2001 graduate of Nauvoo-Colusa High School, was hired as the Chargers’ new coach in April. Fernetti comes to Sandburg with more than 15 years of experience coaching at the four-year college, community college and high school levels.
The Chargers kick off their season at 5:30 p.m. Nov. 1 at home against Southeastern.
Addison Eger (Mendon, Ill./Unity), 5-9 sophomore guard
- Third-year sophomore averaged 19 points per game last season
- Scored a career-high 42 points Feb. 11 against Illinois Valley
- Second-Team All-Arrowhead Conference last season
- Second-Team All-Region IV last two seasons
- Fernetti: “Addison is a scorer that can make shots at all three levels.”
Natalie Righi (Pekin Ill./Pekin), 5-8 sophomore forward
- Led the team in rebounding with 7.2 per game as a freshman last season.
- Fernetti: “Natalie is all energy all the time and is an effective player in the paint offensively as well as defensively.”
Elly Bentley (Bartonville Ill./Limestone), 5-3 freshman guard
- Fernetti: “Elly is a natural point guard that is also capable of scoring the basketball well. She sees the floor very well and is a competitor on defense.”
Armani Revis (Galesburg Ill./Galesburg), 5-3 freshman guard
- Fernetti: “Armani provides a great spark for us defensively and is an energetic player.”
Gracie Sims (Rock Island Ill./Rock Island), 5-5 freshman guard
- Fernetti: “Gracie knows the game of basketball and is an athletic player. She communicates at a high level for us, which is infectious for our team.”
WHAT ARE YOUR EXPECTATIONS FOR YOUR TEAM THIS SEASON?
Fernetti: “My expectations for this basketball team are that we will be a team that competes each and every night during the course of the season. We will not be so much concerned with the scoreboard but on how we are playing. We know we have a challenging schedule with the Arrowhead Conference and Region IV, and we will have to be ready to play every game.”
GAME TO WATCH
Pack the House Night vs. Black Hawk on Feb. 7
THIS WILL BE A SUCCESSFUL SEASON IF …
Fernetti: “This will be a successful season if we limit turnovers and rebound the basketball. These are two points of emphasis we have had in the preseason and early on in practice. Have the approach of being better today than yesterday, better tomorrow than today. Also, competing on the defensive side of the basketball and playing with a good pace will be factors for us to be successful. Lastly, having great energy and enthusiasm for our teammates and ourselves will be a factor in how well we will do this year.”
THE LAST WORD FROM COACH FERNETTI
“I believe this will be a team that will be easy to cheer for and support. This team has been a joy to work with, and each player brings a great work ethic. We will be a team that plays very hard each game.”